Microwaved Chicken isn't neccessarily cooked chicken Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Microwaved Chicken isn't neccessarily cooked chicken

2 posters

Go down

Microwaved Chicken isn't neccessarily cooked chicken Empty Microwaved Chicken isn't neccessarily cooked chicken

Post by 2011mjh Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:26 pm

Microwaved Chicken isn't neccessarily cooked chicken

As if there weren’t enough reasons to pass on frozen chicken.

This week, the federal government announced that 32 people in 12 states were sickened with salmonella poisoning after eating precooked, frozen chicken dinners. The problem? Many of the people who got sick apparently did not follow the instructions for preparing the meal, which called for heating it in an oven. Those who got sick popped their meals in microwaves instead.

According to the Department of Agriculture, the dishes included breaded or pre-browned chicken breasts, some of them stuffed with vegetables or sold as “chicken Kiev” and “chicken cordon bleu.” The appearance of the food led people to assume that the chicken breasts were thoroughly cooked, even though they were still raw or undercooked inside. The agency said that some of the sicknesses occurred in Minnesota, but would not identify the 11 other states involved in the outbreak.

Minnesota has an unfortunate track record when it comes to frozen chicken. Just last year, Minnesota was one of 31 states affected by an outbreak of salmonella — caused by Banquet pot pies — that sickened 165 people. And since 1998, the state has been struck by at least four other outbreaks linked to pre-browned chicken, resulting in part from problems with microwave instructions.
“The issue is that people think it’s cooked and it just needs to be heated up,” Carlota Medus, an epidemiologist with the Minnesota Department of Health, told the New York Times last year. “Microwave cooking for something that has to be cooked isn’t always a good idea.”

Many of those who became ill in this year’s outbreak apparently did not get that message.
“Although many of these stuffed chicken entrees were labeled with instructions identifying the product was uncooked and did not include microwave instruction for preparation,” the agency said in a statement, “individuals who became ill did not follow the cooking instructions and reportedly used a microwave to prepare the product.”

For starters, it’s best to stick to ovens when heating frozen chicken. Also be sure that the meat has reached a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit — the temperature at which any foodborne bacteria will be killed off — and use a food thermometer to be certain. A good one might cost as much as $18 or more, but it beats coping with the symptoms of salmonellosis: diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and nausea that can last as long as seven days.

Bon appétit.

Article Found at: http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/05/microwaved-chicken-isnt-necessarily-cooked-chicken/?hp
2011mjh
2011mjh
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 639
Where do you live? : Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Hobbies : Biking, Being outside, walking Quakertown, football, video games
Humor : Sarcastic Humor
Quote: : And i stood tall, and i did it my way..
The Money :
Microwaved Chicken isn't neccessarily cooked chicken Left_bar_bleue999 / 100999 / 100Microwaved Chicken isn't neccessarily cooked chicken Right_bar_bleue

Occupation: : Microwaved Chicken isn't neccessarily cooked chicken Lawyer10
Occupation 2 : Microwaved Chicken isn't neccessarily cooked chicken Head-p10
Registration date : 2008-08-13

https://thenetwork.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Microwaved Chicken isn't neccessarily cooked chicken Empty Re: Microwaved Chicken isn't neccessarily cooked chicken

Post by Freeman Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:56 pm

Well I sometimes eat microwave chivken but mostly eat cooked chicken. I never gotton food poisioning. I guess it is because I don't eat microwaved chicken regually.
Freeman
Freeman

Male
Number of posts : 444
Where do you live? : Trumbull CT
Hobbies : Trying never to get bored
Humor : Funny Jokes
The Money :
Microwaved Chicken isn't neccessarily cooked chicken Left_bar_bleue274 / 100274 / 100Microwaved Chicken isn't neccessarily cooked chicken Right_bar_bleue

Occupation: : Microwaved Chicken isn't neccessarily cooked chicken Direct10
Occupation 2 : Microwaved Chicken isn't neccessarily cooked chicken Baker-11
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum